Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pre-Trip Assignment


When I heard about the media and film department of Kean University’s trip to Paris, France, I immediately became determined to go. I logged on to KeanWISE and registered for the Travel Learn: French Cinema class. I experienced some trouble at first paying for the trip online which got my nerves in a knot, but I called up EF Tours and they helped me make sure my payments were received and taken care of. Now we are a little less than two weeks away from our flight out of JFK International Airport to France. This will be the second time I’ve ever been on a plane and the first time I’ve ever traveled to another country so the whole trip is a very big deal for me.
I do not know a whole lot about French Cinema although I have heard of the French New Wave, and that it was a revolution of new editing styles and visuals. I have also grown to admire a few French actors here in the United States such as Jean Reno, Gerard Depardieu, and Sophie Marceau. My father has been to Paris on business and has shared some stories and information with me about his experiences. He said that the metro system is very easy to use and understand, which can only benefit my trip. He also said that the Notre Dame Cathedral is breathtaking and absolutely cannot be missed.
I am extremely excited to visit Versailles, the palace of Louis XIV. I have read about its riches and elaborate design. The Hall of Mirrors and the gardens will probably be incredible. I plan on taking plenty of pictures and possibly getting some footage with a 8MM camcorder. Art means a lot to me just like music and film so visiting the Louvre is another essential event in my travels. I plan on visiting a few very nice restaurants and cafes to experience some real French dining and styles of cooking. Seeing what the French nightlife is like should also be interesting so I am going to try and go to a few clubs during my free time. I am going on this trip with an open mind. I want to remember this week for the rest of my life. You never know when an opportunity will come up in your life like this again, which is why I want to make this the best experience possible.

No comments: